With over one billion active users every month, it’s hard to deny the growing popularity of Instagram. And you know what? Its developers at Facebook aren’t sitting still. They are looking for new ways to help users create high-quality content. As a result, Instagram TV, or IGTV, was introduced to the online community. This unique video content platform has already turned into a powerful channel for video sharing.
If you’re considering improving your marketing strategy as a freelance essay writer or an online retailer, think of the success you can achieve with IGTV video. If you’re already using Instagram for business marketing purposes, IGTV might help you take brand popularity and customer loyalty to the next level.
IGTV was originally a standalone app. While some features might look similar, IGTV presents you with a lot of new opportunities, especially if you want to promote your business. Let’s take a closer look!
What is IGTV?
IGTV is an independent app and platform for sharing long-form video. It’s tightly integrated with the regular Instagram app and lets creators post vertical videos that last for up to one hour. You can watch IGTV content straight from the Instagram app or from the dedicated IGTV app.
Why should you use IGTV? Video content is becoming an increasingly important part of the internet. In a few years, video will account for 80% of global internet traffic. IGTV offers a great platform to kickstart your video content journey.
How Does IGTV Work?
IGTV can be used as an independent app or part of Instagram. In both cases, an Instagram account is required. The idea behind IGTV is to provide users with an actual TV app so that they don’t need to dig through Instagram for long-form video. You click on a video on a creator’s profile and it pops up full screen. It’s as simple as that. Like on Instagram, creators can add hashtags to their videos, guiding users to the content that matters. Regular users can post IGTV videos up to 10 minutes long. If you’re a verified user, that goes up to one hour.
Why does IGTV Matter to Marketers?
IGTV matters to marketers because of the platform’s reach, and the ability to share high-engagement video content. No matter how great Instagram stories are, dynamic video content is still more attractive to users. Whether you’re putting up a Q&A, offering product recommendations, or giving your brand’s take on relevant topics, IGTV offers users a far more engaging connect than your written content or still imagery. How can you leverage IGTV for marketing success? Let’s find out!
How to use IGTV to Turbocharge Your Marketing Campaign
Interesting, relevant IGTV content can help your brand stand out in a crowded market and engage wider audiences. IGTV incentivizes you to create great video content for your market campaign, that can later be used elsewhere. But what if you have no idea how to use it? No worries, we’ve got you covered! Here are the first steps you want to take to kickstart your IGTV journey.
- Create your channel. If you want to use IGTV, you need to download the app. After opening Settings, you will find the option to create your channel. Similar to Facebook and most other social media platforms, IGTV is compatible with PCs, tablets, and smartphones. Use the format you’re most comfortable with, but remember that most users will be on mobile.
- Shoot video content. Unlike posts on Instagram, you need to record video content before posting it to IGTV. What’s great is that you can upload as many videos to your profile as you want. If you’re promoting a particular message, a good idea is to create a series of short videos that cover different aspects. These will appear on the feeds of your Instagram followers, even those who don’t use IGTV.
- Edit video content. You need to make sure that every video is 15 seconds or longer. While IGTV supports videos up to an hour long, 4 to 5-minute videos are usually idea to introduce your product or service. Consider changing things up once in a while with long-form videos and deep-dives, too. Every video you record needs to be in portrait orientation a 9:16 aspect ratio. If you shoot your video in landscape or with a different aspect ratio, it might not display properly. Don’t forget to optimize your video by adding a title, description, and hashtags. This will provide your users with basic details about the content of the video, making it clear to your followers what kind of content they are about to watch.
- Start uploading. You can't record an instant video like you can on Instagram, but this isn’t necessarily a disadvantage. You’ll need to manually upload your IGTV videos, but before doing so, you have time to make sure the content’s up to your quality standards. You can leverage powerful video editing software to add effects and more to your raw video.
- Use metrics. Keep an eye on your IGTV insights. Engagement metrics will give you a clear idea about how your content is performing. This will help you adjust your IGTV content to align with user interests, increase engagement, and enable your strategic goals. As a relatively new platform, it can be hard to understand exactly how IGTV metrics translate into user engagement. IF you see lower numbers than you expect, don’t rush to conclusions. Just give it some time. Like with so many business processes, tangible results take time.
Tips for IGTV Marketers
With IGTV and Instagram, there are no limits to your creativity. You have endless possibilities for your marketing activities. After checking out these useful tips, you can start your IGTV adventure:
- Grab people’s attention. Similar to any other content, you need to come up with an exciting start. If you fail to catch people’s attention within the first 15 seconds, you will lose them completely. They simply won’t watch your video till the end.
- Keep sound under control. When users visit your channel, they will see videos played directly with audio. So, you should avoid loud or disturbing sounds because they might irritate your users.
- Provide a title and description for every video. A title shouldn’t be longer than 20 – 25 characters, while a description can consist of 2 - 3 sentences. Keep both title and description short by including the most important information in them. If your video is about an essay writing service, for instance, “Write My Essay” would be a great title, simple and to the point. Also, add links to your description to orientate your potential followers.
- Encourage users. There should be a clear call to action that will tell viewers to open the description and click on the link. Many people have no idea how to follow a link or a description they can read. Add the CTA to your video in advance to make sure that more people can respond to it.
- Avoid creating excessively long videos. Longform video content is great. However, you will need to assess the kind of value you’re offering to users. Is your one-hour video really worth watching end to end? Make sure your videos are information dense. The best way to do this is to keep length on the shorter side: videos that top out at 15 minutes are long enough to educate users, but short enough to be easily consumed.
- Keep video quality high. Make sure that the quality of your video content is good. Always consider in advance how you want to share every piece of information with your viewers. Be original and give yourself sufficient time to create and edit worthy content. Leverage professional editing software if possible to give your content that additional layer of polish
- Monitor statistics. Don’t forget to check your IGTV statistics every day. IGTV provides extensive insights, so you can always see the most and the least successful content. Then, you can adjust your strategy accordingly.
Whether you are a blogger, writer, or retailer, IGTV has a lot to offer your business in terms of marketing development, product promotion, performance measuring, and even post scheduling. It’s up to you how you use it. One thing is clear: IGTV has the potential to elevate your online content marketing and reach new audiences through engage video content.
IGTV is a great platform to test out if you have a video-heavy page and a large number of followers on Instagram. If you’re not shooting videos yet, now’s the time to start. With IGTV, you will have enough space to create long yet interesting videos. These have the potenatil to get your current and prospective followers to see your business from a completely different perspective. If you’re just getting started on your social media journey, don’t worry. You can partner with content marketing and social media experts to craft a customized IGTV strategy, integrate it with your overall marketing goals, and generate tangible results.
Thank you so much for reading Everything You Need to Know About IGTV Marketing. We really appreciate it! If you have any questions about our article, or can suggest any other topics you think we should explore, feel free to let us know.
Be sure to sign-up for our newsletter to receive monthly emails on all of the latest trends and happenings in the digital marketing space. You will also receive our FREE E-Book with the Amazing Marketing Tools for Powerful Business Growth. Sign-up below!
Also, if you received some value out of this article, please share with your friends or colleagues, or leave a comment/question below. We really appreciate you reading our blog and every share/comment means the world to us and allows us to continue producing valuable tools to help you grow your business!
Share this Post
James Baxter is professional writer and blogger, who loves sharing his experience and knowledge with readers. He is especially interested in marketing, blogging and IT. James is always happy to visit different places and meet new people there.